Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Social Sacrifice


Since it is the season of Lent now, I've been thinking about sacrifice, abstinence and related topics. Last Wednesday, I went to have Father Joe rub the ashes on my forehead, and I will observe the Catholic obligation of meatless Fridays, but I have not really committed to give up anything specific for the next month. My lovely and talented daughter wrote the following piece for her work website:

"Until recently, I hadn’t given any thought to what I would give up for Lent this year. I’ve half-heartedly sacrificed chocolate and sweets or sworn off my favorite seasonal candy in years past, but a light bulb went off last week, however, when I read this Wall Street Journal article about parents planning to give up Facebook for 40 days.

Facebook is a bit of an addiction. I log in every day during my commute to the city. I follow email notifications for friendship requests or wall postings. I crave Facebook. I may not be as enthusiastic as 39-year-old Kevin Shine, detailed in the WSJ article, who logs in “as much as 20 times a day,” but I do agree with his statement - Facebook is “my candy.”

So, to friends and colleagues on Facebook, I’m quitting cold turkey…until April 12, at least. And I’m not the only one who’s giving up this form of virtual interaction. Steve Johnson’s piece in the Chicago Tribune suggests 10 creative and funny ideas for what to do with all the time you’d save by not checking Facebook.

Social media helps us keep in touch with family & friends, to network, and even to connect with brands. It’s also quick, and in our often lightening-speed paced world, anything that helps maintain relationships with a few key strokes gets a thumbs-up in my book. Living without Facebook for the next 40 days will be a challenge, especially for a digital native such as myself, but I won’t be completely out of the loop... I’ll still be Tweeting and texting. Is that cheating?" - by Skye M. From 360 Days In A PR Life

-
I personally don't understand the attraction to these social networking sites. Why would you want anyone and everyone to know all your business and know exactly what you are doing and where you are at any given moment of the day? Giving it up, at least temporarily is an excellent idea, in my estimation. Is it cheating?...maybe... but it's a step in the right direction if you ask me.

6 comments:

  1. tweeting, wallpaper, all a twitter...what manner of madness is this. like all new technology you get the good with the bad. its a little TOO much info if you ask me. i know i'm an old fuddy duddy, raised on pong and number two pencils but what is this obsession with keeping in touch by the minute. i'd like some privacy. you can do it tiny, be strong like your mom, love jc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jack - It's a good thing I had computer savvy kids or I might never have gotten online. I never did figure out how to program the VCR and now it's obsolete, Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, you're a brave soul to just cut it off like that Deedee!!
    I gave up bread......cuz I ain't giving up martini's, ya know?

    Steady On
    Reggie Girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Reggie Girl - My daughter gave up her facebooking, but I haven't really given up anything yet - I can't decide! One year I gave up my wine for 40 days and I thought I would die! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the shout-out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. give up wine? for forty days? art thou mad fair lady? when is ''tiny'' coming to blogville? did she hit a bump? enjoying the merlot deedee? bye 4 now, jc

    ReplyDelete